Friday, August 01, 2008

give it a spin

so i've been knitting sweaters lately (both in purple). one is for me and one is going to be a gift. I'm knitting "flo" by kim hargreaves and i love it!


the knitting is really very boring. the fun bit happens at the end when i'll add mohair ruffles to the front of the cardigan.

the gift sweater is coming along nicely. more on that later, but here's a peek.



my brother recently came back from a long europe trip, and while he was in denmark he picked out some yarn for me. he surfed knitting blogs to find a yarn shop and did and EXCELLENT job picking out the yarn


it's 70% angora, 10% wool and 20% polymide. this stuff is SOFT and the color is gorgeous (green is my favorite. good job little brother!)

i also decided that i needed to give spinning a try (not that i need another reason to increase my yarn stash). inspired by my little bit of yarn spinning in nazareth, i bought some wool fiber (louet) and got a new drop spindle and went to town.


i'm actually not sure what i'm supposed to do once i have too much on the spindle. how do i make room for more? i have a book on this, but i'm too lazy to find the book. i think the yarn looks pretty :) ooooohhhh colors.....

do you ever get hung up on a certain color? i really like purple right now. i'm not sure how long this will last. maybe just one more sweater....

6 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger Kara said...

I LOVE Flo. I am so excited to see how yours comes out.

 
At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your projects look wonderful!

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Jenny Girl said...

It all about knitting what you like. And I like that purple myself. I see the spinning bug has bitten you also. Good luck.
It looks nice so far.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Sherral said...

Hey Rachel- I love your blog!I especially like your gathered pullover (which is one of the next projects on my list---therefore, any tips you could give me on that pattern would be great. I was thinking about eliminating the bust increases and decreases too.) Also, I'm very impressed by your spinning! I tried once and I totally felt like a spaz!

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Bee Magic Chronicles for Kids said...

Hi Rachel. You can take the yarn off your spindle and roll it onto a spindle or dowel. Once you've made all your yarn, take 2 spindles/dowels and then reverse direction on the drop spindle as you run the threads together, making a 2 ply yarn. It's fun using a drop spindle. I'm using one now with angora rabbit wool... :)

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rachel, Another rachel Here.
I love purple to .My faves are purple,Red.Brown and turquoise.Who says we have to pick just one favorite color and stick w/ it?
Your drop spindling looks good.And i have to say as a spinner who started spinning on a drop spindle and then quickly moved up to a wheel...it's not easy spinning on a drop spindle let alone an even looking single like you have done.good job.It's a lot easier spinning on a wheel because you have both hands to fidgit with the fiber where as with the spindle you have to hold the fiber and draft with the same hand.Yours turned out very pretty.Love the colors to.even though i dont use my drop spindles much anymore i still play w/ them from time to time.I just love the way they look and i feel like im connecting w/ an ancient tradition.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home