Wednesday, February 06, 2008

WIPs and stash update

The gathered pullover has been somewhat neglected. I'm a student teacher now and so many things are competing for my time that i've only been able to knit a few rows here or there. i finished the fronts and i'm nearly done with the back, so there is some progress.


i still love this sweater. even though my dogs knocked my frappuccino over and got drops of sticky coffee/sugar/crap all over the sweater and the yarn. good thing yarn is washable.

i also started the baudelaire sock because i desperately needed a portable knit since my chevron scarf and the gathered pullover are too large and cumbersome to carry everywhere. the sock got a lot of questions from curious onlookers at school.

Sample conversation:
Stranger:"what in the world are you doing with all those sticks?"
Me: "i'm knitting a sock"
S: "for a baby?"
M: "no, for me."
S: *quizzical look*
M: "it starts out small at the toe, and then it gets bigger"
S: "oh...so you're making individual toes?"
M: "no, i'm...well, ask me again next week and you'll see."

the sock is making much more sense now, and hopefully that person will see what i was doing in those early figure-eight-cast-on stages.

i also bought this freaking fantastic yarn online: noro kureyon sock in color 188

drool.

6 Comments:

At 12:02 AM, Blogger Happily Knit said...

Drool indeed! That Noro looks good enough to...well...I won't go into it.

Love the sample conversation, people who don't knit seem so amazed by the simplest things. It (admittedly) makes me feel pretty good to have a conversation like that despite the passerby leaving unenlightened. Sigh. When will the rest of the world catch on?

 
At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your pullover so far! Sometimes it's hard to explain what you're doing with the needles to a non-knitter, huh?

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Happily Knit said...

I know I've already commented on this post, but I seriously can't wait to see your gathered pull over finished! I'm in love with the color.

Seriously.

 
At 5:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

... when I'm knitting in public, the conversation goes like this:
Stranger: What are you crocheting?
Me: Knitting. Crochet is with a hook. I'm knitting a sock [scarf, sweater, etc.].
Stranger: A baby sock [scarf, sweater, etc.]?
Me: No, it's for me.


And the stranger goes away, amazed that a knitter would spend a moment NOT knitting for babies.
It's a little insulting to me, really. I do knit for babies, sometimes; but I much prefer to knit for those who appreciate the gift and who (hopefully) won't pee or throw up on it.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Erin said...

ohhhhh, i looooove the green color you are using for gathered pullover. It is going to be so pretty.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Susan said...

You've been tagged!
Visit http://susanwritesandknits.blogspot.com for details.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home